Monday, January 12, 2009

Kitchen Floor renovations


I have posted this photo of my kitchen floor as we were cleaning off the rubber backing that was stuck down all over the floor boards. I put up with carpet in my kitchen for as long as I could because my husband thought it would be too big a job for us to do. It took us almost a week but we gradually pulled up the carpet (the easy bit) then scraped as much of the rubber backing off the floor as we could, then I got down on the floor and soaked small patches with turps and scraped the glue off the floor with a paint scraper (the hard part). It was very hard work and the fumes got to me after a while so I had to progress slowly. Eventually we got it all done then we got a professional floor sander in and had him sand and polish our kitchen floor. They came up beautiful, they are a different type of wood to the rest of the house as I think the kitchen was added on later, they re a cyprus pine and a lovely golden yellow colour as opposed to the rich dark brown of the Tallow wood floor boards.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Heidi Lee - thanks for stopping by The Laurel Hedge, I'm on vacation at the moment but couldn't help leaving a comment. Your pics of the mess left by the rubber-backed carpet took me back to the same moment in time in our old house.

    We had to do exactly the same, but ours was in a dining room - OMG what a job that was! Maybe we should start an organisation for the banning of that awful carpet!! I know I wanted to hunt down & haunt forever the previous owners who did it - & my fingernails still haven't recovered 15 yrs. on.
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we can see an after shot. Be nice to see how they came up. Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi

    I came over from your moms blog! :-)
    That seems like alot of work! BUT nicely done!

    Please visit me some time ;-)

    Monica (Norway)

    ReplyDelete